(2 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Tex mex bean gratin with roasted garlic
Impossible to resist some beans covered with melted cheese? Absolutely! Add flavor, freshness and practicality with Isadora® beans.
- 2 pkg. Isadora® Tex Mex refried beans 4 heads garlic 6 TBS. olive oil (divided use) 1 medium onion
- chopped 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 2 cups corn chips
- Pico de gallo: 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- quartered 1/3 cup minced red onion ½ tsp. Salt 2 TBS. fresh lime juice ½ fresh jalapeno
- finely minced ½ cup minced cilantro
How to Cook
- 1 Pico de gallo: combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2 Cut about ¼” off the top of each head of garlic. Place each on a small square of aluminum foil and drizzle ½ tablespoon of oil over the cut area. Wrap the foil around each head of garlic and place on a baking pan and place in a 400° F oven. Roast garlic for about 40 minutes or until soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 3 Heat remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and sauté over medium high heat until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Stir in Isadora® Tex Mex refried beans and the can of diced tomatoes with chiles. Unwrap garlic heads and squeeze the soft garlic into the bean mixture, discard the papery garlic skins. Stir to combine.
- 4 Oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish and spread the bean mixture evenly in it. Crush the corn chips lightly with a rolling pin or your hands; the chips should be in irregular pieces not fine crumbs.
- 5 Top beans with crushed chips and top with grated cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375° F for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until bubbly. Serve with salsa or pico de gallo.